Tool | October 2015
State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees
Click on any state in the map below for a detailed summary of taxes on retirement income, property and purchases, as well as special tax breaks for seniors. See more maps below, including the most tax-friendly and least tax-friendly states for retirees.
Compare up to Five States
See how selected states stack up on taxes that affect retirees. Hover over or click on any state in the map for the option to add the state to your compare list.
States That Tax Social Security
States More Tax-Friendly for Retirees
SOURCES: State tax departments, CCH and the Tax Foundation.
Editor's Picks From Kiplinger
- 6 Tax Factors to Consider When Picking a Retirement Destination
- Retiree Tax Bite Varies By State
- SLIDE SHOW: 10 Most Tax-Friendly States for Retirees
- SLIDE SHOW: 10 Least Tax-Friendly States for Retirees
- SLIDE SHOW: 10 Things You Must Know About Social Security
- SLIDE SHOW: 10 Things You Must Know About Traditional IRAs
- SLIDE SHOW: 5 Costly Retirement Surprises
- SPECIAL REPORT: Maximize Your Social Security Benefits
- TOOL: Kiplinger's State-by-State Guide to Taxes
- TOOL: Find the Best, Latest Mortgage Rates in Any State