mutual funds

Kiplinger 25 Model Portfolios

Reach your investment goals with these plans using our favorite no-load mutual funds.

We've constructed three portfolios using only funds from the Kiplinger 25, a list of our favorite no-load mutual funds, designed for investors with different goals, time horizons and levels of risk tolerance.

Use the models below as a starting point for your own portfolio. Tweak where necessary. Beef up your stocks if you want to be more aggressive, or increase the bond portion of your portfolio if you're risk-averse.

Aggressive Portfolio

Time horizon: 11 years or more

Strategy: Invest 85% of assets in stocks and add a stable, core bond fund for the remaining 15%.

Dodge & Cox Stock (DODGX): 25%

Primecap Odyssey Growth (POGRX): 20% 

TIAA-CREF Core Impact Bond (TSBRX): 15%

Parnassus Mid Cap (PARMX): 15%

Janus Henderson Global Equity Income (HFQTX): 10%

T. Rowe Price Small-Cap Value (PRSVX): 10%

T. Rowe Price QM U.S. Small-Cap Growth (PRDSX): 5%

Moderate Portfolio

Time horizon: Six to 10 years

Strategy: Hold 70% in stocks and 30% in bonds for a more temperate mix.

T. Rowe Price Dividend Growth (PRDGX): 20%

Metropolitan West Total Return (MWTRX): 15%

TIAA-CREF Core Impact Bond (TSBRX): 15%

Fidelity International Growth (FIGFX): 15%

Dodge & Cox Stock (DODGX): 15%

T. Rowe Price Small-Cap Value (PRSVX): 10%

Janus Henderson Global Equity Income (HFQTX): 10%

Conservative Portfolio

Time horizon: Five years or less

Strategy: A steadier blend of 70% bonds and 30% stocks geared primarily for income.

TIAA-CREF Core Impact Bond (TSBRX): 25%

Fidelity Strategic Income (FADMX): 25%

T. Rowe Price Dividend Growth (PRDGX): 15%

Vanguard Equity-Income (VEIPX): 15%

T. Rowe Price Floating Rate (PRFRX): 5%

Vanguard Emerging Markets Bond (VEMBX): 5%

Vanguard High-Yield Corporate (VWEHX): 5%

TCW Enhanced Commodity Strategy (TGABX): 5%

Most Popular

How to Use Your Estate Plan to Save on Taxes While You’re Still Alive!
estate planning

How to Use Your Estate Plan to Save on Taxes While You’re Still Alive!

Upstream basis planning is a trust strategy that can save wealthy people on their capital gains taxes and income taxes associated with highly apprecia…
July 3, 2022
Your Guide to Roth Conversions
Special Report
Tax Breaks

Your Guide to Roth Conversions

A Kiplinger Special Report
February 25, 2021
5 Ways to Prepare for a Recession
recession

5 Ways to Prepare for a Recession

The signs seem to be pointing in one direction these days, so if you’re worried about being ready for a recession, consider taking these five measures…
June 28, 2022

Recommended

The 15 Best Growth Stocks for the Rest of 2022
growth stocks

The 15 Best Growth Stocks for the Rest of 2022

A sharp selloff in growth stocks this year creates opportunity for keen investors. Here are 15 top-rated picks to consider in the second half of 2022.
June 28, 2022
Kiplinger's Weekly Earnings Calendar
stocks

Kiplinger's Weekly Earnings Calendar

Check out our earnings calendar for the upcoming week, as well as our previews of the more noteworthy reports.
June 24, 2022
Janus Henderson Global Equity Income Fund Hangs Tough
Kip 25

Janus Henderson Global Equity Income Fund Hangs Tough

A focus on dividend payers and defensive stocks has kept the Janus Henderson Global Equity Income Fund afloat in a rough market.
June 23, 2022
Dividend Stocks Are Paying Off for Income Investors
dividend stocks

Dividend Stocks Are Paying Off for Income Investors

Investors can weather the storm of a volatile market with dividend-paying stocks.
June 23, 2022