17 Best Amazon Prime Day Smart Home Deals
Time to scoop up Amazon Prime Day deals to make your home, and your life, smarter.
- (opens in new tab)
- (opens in new tab)
- (opens in new tab)
- Newsletter sign up Newsletter
It’s time to make your home smarter with a little help from Christmas in July. Yes, Amazon.com dives into its Amazon Prime Day 2022 sellathon on Tuesday, July 12 through Wednesday July 13. But why wait?
Amazon rolled out Prime Day deals ahead of the real deal (opens in new tab) as competitors rolled out rival deals. The online retail giant is enticing its 200 million Prime members and luring new ones (or former Prime members who didn’t reup or canceled because of 2022’s price increase) with fresh Prime-related price cuts on thousands of items ahead of Prime Day. To its array of best perks for Amazon Prime members, Amazon just tossed in a free year of Grubhub delivery (opens in new tab). Things like that.
Take it for granted that Amazon’s going to slash prices on its proprietary products: Kindles, Echos, Amazon TVs, Ring devices, etc. You’re seeing sales of up to 50% and 60% off regular prices. We’ve also searched out other smart home products that aren’t in Amazon’s own wheelhouse. And we’ve played fast and loose with “smart home” (hey, a Vitamix FoodCycler might make you smarter about your home; just sayin’).
So check out these 17 Best Amazon Prime Deals on Smart Devices for the Home.
Kiplinger is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read about our editorial standards (opens in new tab).
Ring Video Doorbell 4
Ring Video Doorbell 4: Was $219.99, now $169.99, Amazon.com
- Improved 4-second color video previews
- Enhanced Wi-Fi
- Easy installation
- Customizable privacy zones and audio privacy
- Receive mobile notifications when anyone presses your doorbell or triggers your built-in motion sensors
Amazon has the Ring collection of smart devices in its portfolio, so you can bet there are big deals on Ring devices this year. Really big deals.
Take this 2021 upgrade on the 2020 Ring video doorbell (also a Prime Day 2022 deal at $74.99, was $99.99) . It's discounted by $50 for Amazon Prime Day and it's a beaut: Improved with four-second color video previews and pumped-up Wi-Fi, it's powered by a removable, rechargeable battery pack or connects to existing doorbell wires for constant power. If you subscribe to the Ring Protect Plan (sold separately), you can record all your videos, review what you missed for up to 180 days, and share videos and photos. Buy now
PetSafe Pet Water Fountain
PetSafe Drinkwell Gallon Fountain: Was $59.99, now $45.95, Amazon.com
- For dogs and cats
- Customizable water flow
- Available in smaller and larger sizes
- Replaceable carbon water filter
- Top-rack dishwasher safe
If your dog or cat still doesn’t know how to fill a decent glass of water, this is the way to go. The PetSafe Drinkwell Fountain provides fresh, filtered, flowing water that’s easily accessible to your fur baby. This one-gallon size is perfect for small- to medium-sized dogs or cats. You can customize the water flow, in case your shy cat isn’t down with the sound and flow. The open bowl design and tray is whisker-friendly and will hold water even if the power is cut off. The carbon filter is replaceable, and the foam filter catches pet hair and debris to keep the water clean. Buy now
Shark NV752 TruePet Upright Vacuum
Shark NV752 Rotator Powered Lift-Away TruePet Upright Vacuum: Was $319.99, now $219.99, Amazon.com
- HEPA filter and large dust cup capacity
- LED headlights
- Upholstery tool, crevice tool and pet power brush
- Anti-allergen complete seal
- Advanced swivel steering for easier maneuvering
This vacuum cleaner just may do the trick to get rid of that pet hair that’s stuck in every nook and cranny of your abode. With this Shark smart machine, you can lift the pod away to more easily maneuver the nozzle in clean difficult-to-reach places (say, under furniture), because the powered brushroll will just keep on spinning). The anti-allergen complete seal design is matched with a HEPA filter to help contain dust and allergens in the unit. The larger-than-average, nearly quart-size dust cup capacity holds more, and is fast to remove. And those LED lights? Perfect for sighting pet hair. Buy now
Champion Power Equipment Portable Inverter Generator
Champion Power Equipment 200988 4500-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator, Electric Start: Was $1,359, now $982.71, Amazon.com
- Low-oil shutoff sensor
- Quiet, 61-decibel sound output, unusual for a generator
- Bonus: Electric start, with the battery included.
- Quick Touch Panel allows you to access all the needed controls in one spot
- RV ready with a 120V 30A RV, plus two 120V 20A household outlets with clean electricity
Right out of the box, this puppy is ready to generate juice, running on either gasoline or propane. That’s perfect as you retire in an RV or need reliable backup power in your Florida home. The Champion dual fuel portable inverter generator has a three-year limited warranty with free lifetime technical support from dedicated experts at Champion. The quiet operation is perfect for your RV, camping, or as a backup generator for your home. It offers A 14-hour run time on gasoline. Buy now
Echo Dot (4th Generation)
Echo Dot (4th Generation) Smart speaker with Alexa: Was $49.99, now $19.99, Amazon.com
- Voice assistant Alexa is there at your command. It will set timers, check the weather, tell a joke, sing “Happy Birthday” to you when no one else will
- The sound is amazing in this, Amazon’s most popular smart speaker
- Connects seamlessly
- with other smart home accessories
- The blue light lets you know Alexa is listening (not available on small children). Other color lights include those for notifications
- Multiple layers of privacy controls baked in, including mic-off button and in-app settings
Smart speakers have been a boon to many of us hunkered down in the work-from-home world. The fourth generation Echo Dot is a gem. The rich, balanced bass sound is wonderful for listening to online radio stations or streaming music including Amazon Music (of course), Apple Music (surprise!), SiriusXM, Spotify and others. Oh, and you can also put Echo Dot to work on motivating your other smart devices to get working. Smart plug or smart light bulb systems integrate well with Alexa's voice commands. You can also adjust smart thermostat settings and turn on a fan. Buy now
Amazon Smart Plug
Amazon Smart Plug, for home automation, Works with Alexa: Was $24.99, now $12.99, Amazon.com
- Easy to use
- Schedule other power-needed products, including fans and appliances, to turn on or off, or control them remotely
- You don’t need a smart hub; it’s all in this unit (and the cloud)
- Use the Alexa energy dashboard to monitor electricity use
Add me to the crew that’s all aboard the smart plug train, especially after recently finding (and trying to use) an old push-button plug-in timer. The Amazon Smart Plug is a pre-Amazon Prime Day and Amazon Prime Day good deal. It comes with a built-in look of horror (that’s the outlet), and is a breeze to set up and use. All you have to do is plug it in, then control via the Alexa app. That's it; a timer set in no time.
Oh, and please know it has to be connected to your Wi-Fi, again easy to set up on the Amazon Smart Plug. Buy now
Amazon Smart Thermostat
Amazon Smart Thermostat with C-Wire Power Adaptor: Was $84.98, now $56.98, Amazon.com
- Powered by Honeywell Home Technology, long-timers in this space
- Bonus: The Alexa app will guide you through the installation process, often daunting to novice do-it-yourselfers
- The Alexa Smart Thermostat, like other smart thermostats (hello, Nest), are built to save you money in the long run
- Use pre-programmed settings, or control via the Alexa app
- Energy Star rated
If you’re thinking it’s about time to go rogue and make your thermostat a smart one, the Amazon Smart Thermostat is a good play. At its heart, it is powered by Honeywell Home Technology, masters at the thermostat game. By design (and on Energy Star orders to manufacturers), you’ll save money on your home energy bills. Note this: While it is a smart thermostat, it isn’t operated directly by voice (it doesn’t have a microphone or speaker). You can control it by voice using the Alexa app (“Alexa, turn the thermostat to 72 degrees”) or, say, an Amazon Echo smart speaker. It’s up to you. Buy now
iRobot Roomba 692 Robot Vacuum
iRobot Roomba 692 Robot Vacuum-Wi-Fi Connectivity, Personalized Cleaning Recommendations, Works with Alexa: Was $299.99, now $179.99, Amazon.com
- A three-stage cleaning system and dual multi-surface brushes sweep and suck up dirt from carpets and hard floors.
- Oh, and an edge-sweeping brush takes care of corners and edges
- Good for pet hair
- When it’s finished, it will return to its docking station and recharge
I’m a huge convert to robo-vacs, so much so that I have two, one on each floor (note, you can move your droids between floors, but I found it easier to let two learn and understand their space). This iRobot Roomba 692 has big fans, and the price is excellent. You’ll wonder why you waited so long as you watch it seemingly haphazardly breeze around the rooms, relegating your old canister vac to 1986 where it belongs. Oh, and cleaning is as easy as scheduling it to clean up daily dirt, dust, and debris with the iRobot HOME app or your voice assistant. Buy now
Coway Airmega 400S Air Purifier
Coway Airmega 400S App-Enabled Smart Technology, Compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Home True HEPA Air Purifier: Was $849, now $437.06, Amazon.com
- Covers 1,560 square feet. That’s a good-size room, no?
- Cleans the room about two times an hour. That’s twice more than you do
- Sure, there’s an app for it
- It’s quiet, especially at the lower of five speed settings. The Coway Airmega has five fan modes: Smart, Sleep, Low, Medium and High. It’s pretty darn quiet, especially at the lower speeds
- This l’il chunk weighs about 25 pounds
Who doesn’t need a decent air purifier? At 49% off, the Coway Airmega may be the way to go. It’s filter-rich, with a built-in pollution sensor communicating indoor air quality testing in real-time. The Coway Airmega Max2 filter, which is a combined activated carbon and True HEPA filter, is a magnet for pollen, pollutants and other allergens. Also on board is a washable and permanent pre-filter to catch larger dust particles. The aforementioned fan speed automatically adjusts based on the room's air quality and lighting conditions to improve air quality. Onboard timers can be set, and indicators for filter lifetime for both the washable pre-filter and Max2 filter will alert you when to replace. Buy now
PetSafe Stay & Play Wireless Pet Fence
PetSafe Stay & Play Wireless Pet Fence with Replaceable Battery Collar: Was $349.99, now $262.95, Amazon.com
- Covers up to three-quarters of an acre
- For dogs or cats over 5 pounds
- Waterproof collar with tone and static alerts
- From the Invisible Fence brand
- No digging or wire to bury
When “I SAID STAY IN THE YARD!” just doesn’t cut it, it’s time for PetSafe Stay & Play Wireless Pet Fence. It comes from the folks who make the trusted Invisible Fence brand border fence, which safely and effectively secured two beagles (Bert and Ernie) and a golden retriever (Moonshadow) in my backyard. That was with buried wire and a much larger lot. This wireless, circular boundary sets up in just a few hours. Your pet isn’t warned or shocked when they exit the boundary to come back in the house or otherwise leave the secure area with your permission. Also, unlike other, uh, invisible fences, this one’s portable, so you can take it camping, to a vacation home or wherever your pet needs a secure boundary. Buy now
Blink Mini Indoor Security Camera
Blink Mini – Compact indoor plug-in smart security camera, 1080p HD video, night vision, motion detection, two-way audio, easy set up: Was $34.99, now $29.99, Amazon.com
- Monitor the inside of your home day and night
- It’s two-way. You can see and hear people (and pets) via an app, and speak to them through the speaker-microphone on the Blink Mini
- You can use the Blink Mini as an indoor plug-in chime for Blink Video Doorbell
- Blink is an Amazon proprietary brand
Affordable home security cameras are here. Take the Blink Mini, clocking in at less than 30 bucks as an early Amazon Prime Day deal, it’s
built with all the bells and whistles of more expensive cameras. The setup is easy: Plug it in, connect to your Wi-Fi, and use the Blink Home Monitor app. It also works with Alexa, of course, being as they’re Amazon kin. Once it’s ready to go, you’ll get alerts on your smartphone whenever motion is detected. You can also customize motion detection zones you care the most to visually access. Buy now
Blink Outdoor HD Security Camera (2 cameras)
Blink Outdoor - wireless, weather-resistant HD security camera, two-year battery life, motion detection, set up in minutes – 2 camera kit: Was $179.99, now $99.99, Amazon.com
- You don’t get just one camera; you get two
- Yup, Blink is an Amazon proprietary product
- The cameras are wireless and weather-resistant
- It’s high-definition, and the infrared night vision makes you Superman
- Two AA lithium batteries included should make these things run for two years
OK, this one thrills me. I have a wired Nest outdoor camera watching for deer and bear in my backyard and it’s a pain because it’s … wired. I like that these are battery powered, and with Amazon’s name – well, Blink – on it, I’m pretty sure my satisfaction is guaranteed. These cameras are easy to set up, and will help you monitor your property day and night. There’s two-way audio on these cameras, too, so I can yell at the deer to get off my lawn. But sharing and storing video clips require a separate Blink subscription. Buy now
Insignia 43-inch Smart Fire TV
Insignia 43-inch Class F30 Series LED 4K UHD Smart Fire TV (NS-43F301NA22, 2021 Model): Was $299.99, now $189.99, Amazon.com
- 43-inch screen, not huge by today’s standards, but a good size (and price) for a bedroom or office
- Supports streamers Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant Video, YouTube
- 4K resolution, LED display, both nice
- Ultra HD, also nice
- Alexa for voice control
Your smart home needs a smart TV and this is a good one at an excellent price. You get a solid 4K experience, and with Amazon’s proprietary Fire TV, you can speak commands into the Alexa-controlled remote, like searching for titles, going to live TV, playing music, etc. You also have access to thousands of shows utilizing Fire TV. Oh, yeah, it also connects to Apple TV+, Disney+, Hulu, Sling TV, Prime Video, and other services. Buy now
Fire 7 Kids Pro tablet, 7" Display
Fire 7 Kids Pro tablet, 7" display, ages 6+, 16 GB, Doodle: Was $99.99, now $49.99, Amazon.com
- This is no toy; it’s a tablet, and at a darn fine price
- It’s part of Amazon’s proprietary tablet lineup, so it’s built to last
- Designed for kids age 6 and over and includes one year of Amazon Kids+, which includes thousands of ad-free books, games, videos, apps and Alexa skills from brands like National Geographic, Marvel and LEGO; you pay $4.99 a month after that
- It also has parental controls, a case that’s kid-friendly slim, and a parent-friendly two-year worry-free guarantee
- The web filter is designed to filter out the garbage kids shouldn’t see
Let it go, grandparents. This is what gets the grandkids over the river and through the woods peacefully, and it gives the parents in the front seat a break. These kid-friendly devices feature a quad-core processor, 7-inch display, dual cameras, Micro USB port, and up to 512 GB of expandable storage. Oh, there’s retail on board, but don’t you worry: Kids Pro tablets can’ access app, game and ebook stores but parents approve purchases and downloads. Buy now
Logitech HD Laptop Webcam C615
Logitech HD Laptop Webcam C615 with Fold-and-Go Design, 360-Degree Swivel, 1080p Camera: Was $69.99, now $29.30, Amazon.com
- Vibrant 1080p video capture means everyone on the Zoom call looks pretty
- You’ve got that 360 degree full motion rotational camera, fold- and- go portability and tripod-ready base so you can rotate your camera to show all your work colleagues your cat scratching the couch with ease (they still won’t care)
- High-end auto-focus does the trick with razor sharp images, even in close ups
- The built-in microphone filters out background noise
Paying less than 30 bucks for a much better camera than the company laptop offers is a pretty good bargain. You can get clear videos even in dim or poorly backlit settings. That’s the automatic light correction at play. The Logitech HD Laptop Webcam works with Windows 7 or higher, macOS X 10.10 or higher, Chrome OS and Android. But reviews note this older model plays well with some older operating systems as well. Buy now
Vitamix FoodCycler (2L Capacity)
Vitamix 068051 FoodCycler FC-50, 2L Capacity: Was $399.95, now $297.99, Amazon.com
- Heck yeah! You can make fertilizer from food scraps in a mere few hours
- Vitamix? Yes, please. Love your blenders
- That two-liter capacity will hold table and refrigerator scraps, including chicken bones
- You’re cutting down on your food waste by up to 90%
- And you don’t even have to step outside or turn a drum
Isn’t this something you’ve always dreamed about having in your kitchen? A composting device? Vitamix (and Amazon) promise it’s fast, thorough and – you’ve thought of this, yes? – odorless. Think of it: Those banana peels you throw in the trash every morning can be turned into fertilizer and sprinkled on your gardens within hours. It looks easy to clean, and the empty bucket can go directly into your dishwasher. And, listen, you don’t have to keep it in your kitchen. The Vitamix FoodCycler can be stored anywhere with power. It’s a snap to operate, and processing time is just four to eight hours. Buy now
August Wi-Fi Smart Lock
August Wi-Fi (4th Generation) Smart Lock: Was $229.99, now $149.99, Amazon.com
- Turn your dumb lock into a smart lock with ease
- Fits your existing deadbolt so you can use your current house key if you wish
- But you won't have to
- It's an inside job, meaning you're changing just the inside part of your current deadbolt assembly
- Use the app to grant access to others
The folks behind this smart lock say even if you aren't handy, you'll be able to install the August Wi-Fi Smart Lock and get it working in about 10 minutes. August locks fit with precision over most single cylinder deadbolts and aren't much bigger than your original thumbturn, the company says. And here's a cool feature: The August Wi-Fi Smart Lock has the option to automatically lock when you close the door, or after a set amount of time (set up on the app). Works with your Wi-Fi-connected voice assistant (Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple HomeKit, Samsung SmartThings and more). Buy now
Bob is a Senior Online Editor at Kiplinger.com. He has more than 40 years of experience in online, print and visual journalism. Bob has worked as an award-winning writer and editor in the Washington, D.C., market as well as at news organizations in New York, Michigan and California. Bob joined Kiplinger in 2016, bringing a wealth of expertise covering retail, entertainment, and money-saving trends and topics. He was one of the first journalists at a daily news organization to aggressively cover retail as a specialty, and has been lauded in the retail industry for his expertise. Bob has also been an adjunct and associate professor of print, online and visual journalism at Syracuse University and Ithaca College. He has a master’s degree from Syracuse University’s S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications and a bachelor’s degree in communications and theater from Hope College.
Cheapest Pizza Near Me? 10 Most Affordable Cities for a Pizza Pie
Residents of these U.S. cities and towns really luck out when it comes to finding the "cheapest pizza near me."
By Dan Burrows • Published
Controversial Capital Gains Tax Upheld in Washington
The state’s historic long term capital gains tax is projected to bring in $1 billion over the next two years.
By Kelley R. Taylor • Published
Amazon launches RxPass — its new subscription service for medication
Amazon's new program, RxPass, lets Prime members ship prescription medications to their homes for just $5 a month.
By Erin Bendig • Published
Drone Delivery Takes Off for Amazon and Walmart
Communities are already seeing items delivered by drones from Amazon Prime and Walmart.
By Bob Niedt • Published
A New Amazon Returns Location: Staples
A pilot program makes Staples another place for customers to drop off Amazon returns for packaging and shipment.
By Bob Niedt • Published
Amazon Prime Video Regains HBO Max
After a brief departure from Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max is back.
By Bob Niedt • Published
Amazon’s Tip My Driver Program Gets New Life
A fresh infusion of $1 million for “Alexa, tip my driver” means you can once again tip your delivery driver $5.
By Bob Niedt • Last updated
Amazon Prime Grocery Outlet: A Secret to Saving on Groceries
Amazon Prime Grocery Outlet is a hidden gem for shoppers looking to save on grocery products through Amazon offers and deeper discounts on pantry items.
By Bob Niedt • Published
Amazon Health Care Has a New Virtual Clinic: Amazon Clinic
Amazon’s latest foray into health care is Amazon Clinic, offering retail customers treatment for a range of ailments. But don’t expect to actually see anyone.
By Bob Niedt • Published
Should I Cancel Amazon Prime? Here Are 12 Good Reasons
Amazon Prime The giant retailer had a year of ups and downs, leaving many wondering: Do I need Amazon Prime?
By Bob Niedt • Published