Where to Save for Retirement After Maxing Out Your 401(k)

Aggressive savers can turn to taxable accounts, SEP IRAs and variable annuities after hitting the limit in tax-advantaged retirement plans.

You have several options if you’re already saving the maximum in your retirement accounts, or if you earn too much to contribute the maximum. In 2014, most employees can stash up to $17,500 in their 401(k), 403(b), federal Thrift Savings and most 457 plans. You can also contribute up to $5,500 to a traditional or Roth IRA. If you’re 50 or older, you can make “catch up” contributions of up to $5,500 to an employer retirement plan and $1,000

to an IRA.

Subscribe to Kiplinger’s Personal Finance

Be a smarter, better informed investor.

Save up to 74%

Sign up for Kiplinger’s Free E-Newsletters

Profit and prosper with the best of expert advice on investing, taxes, retirement, personal finance and more - straight to your e-mail.

Profit and prosper with the best of expert advice - straight to your e-mail.

Sign up

To continue reading this article
please register for free

This is different from signing in to your print subscription

Why am I seeing this? Find out more here

Sandra Block
Senior Editor, Kiplinger's Personal Finance

Block joined Kiplinger in June 2012 from USA Today, where she was a reporter and personal finance columnist for more than 15 years. Prior to that, she worked for the Akron Beacon-Journal and Dow Jones Newswires. In 1993, she was a Knight-Bagehot fellow in economics and business journalism at the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism. She has a BA in communications from Bethany College in Bethany, W.Va.