IRS Says Some Stimulus Check Recipients Should File an Amended Tax Return

The IRS says that some early filers who received a special state "stimulus" payment may need to file an amended tax return to possibly get a refund.

picture of the IRS Internal Revenue Service sign
(Image credit: Getty Images)

With Tax Day (when federal income taxes are due for most people) just around the corner, the IRS is saying that some so-called “early filers,” who received a special state payment last year, may want to consider filing an amended tax return now. The announcement from the IRS involves some of the millions of people in 21 states, where special payments (sometimes called inflation relief checks, tax rebates, or “stimulus” checks) were made last year. 

The IRS determined earlier this year that many of those state payments are not taxable, but many people filed their tax returns before the IRS made that decision. As a result, some of those early filers might have reported the payments as taxable income and could be due a refund.

Subscribe to Kiplinger’s Personal Finance

Be a smarter, better informed investor.

Save up to 74%

Sign up for Kiplinger’s Free E-Newsletters

Profit and prosper with the best of expert advice on investing, taxes, retirement, personal finance and more - straight to your e-mail.

Profit and prosper with the best of expert advice - straight to your e-mail.

Sign up

To continue reading this article
please register for free

This is different from signing in to your print subscription

Why am I seeing this? Find out more here

Kelley R. Taylor
Senior Tax Editor,

As the senior tax editor at, Kelley R. Taylor simplifies federal and state tax information, news, and developments to help empower readers. Kelley has over two decades of experience advising on and covering education, law, finance, and tax as a corporate attorney and business journalist.