How to Protect Your Home from Natural Disasters with the Right Insurance

Not all damage is covered by standard homeowners policies. Make sure you’re prepared before it’s too late.

Firefighters puts out hot spots at a house on Vista Court in Laguna Niguel, CA on Thursday, May 12, 2022.
(Image credit: Getty Images)

This summer, the East Coast was rocked by hurricane season, including the big Hurricane Idalia that made landfall in Florida before sweeping up the coast, while Maui is recovering from deadly wildfires that devastated the island. 

These events fit all too well into the pattern of national disasters the U.S. has experienced so far. While incidents this year have not been the most expensive natural disasters in U.S. history, 2023 is marked by the most billion-dollar disasters for the first seven months of any year since 1980, according to scientists from NOAA’s National Centers for Environmental Information. 

Subscribe to Kiplinger’s Personal Finance

Be a smarter, better informed investor.

Save up to 74%

Sign up for Kiplinger’s Free E-Newsletters

Profit and prosper with the best of expert advice on investing, taxes, retirement, personal finance and more - straight to your e-mail.

Profit and prosper with the best of expert advice - straight to your e-mail.

Sign up

To continue reading this article
please register for free

This is different from signing in to your print subscription

Why am I seeing this? Find out more here

Rivan V. Stinson
Ex-staff writer, Kiplinger's Personal Finance

Rivan joined Kiplinger on Leap Day 2016 as a reporter for Kiplinger's Personal Finance magazine. A Michigan native, she graduated from the University of Michigan in 2014 and from there freelanced as a local copy editor and proofreader, and served as a research assistant to a local Detroit journalist. Her work has been featured in the Ann Arbor Observer and Sage Business Researcher. She is currently assistant editor, personal finance at The Washington Post.

With contributions from