Why Renters Need Insurance

Your landlord's policy won't cover your possessions.

The majority of Americans who rent an apartment or home don't have renter's insurance, according to a new survey released by InsuranceQuotes.com. That's because many say that their apartment building has good security and mistakenly believe that their landlord's policy will provide the coverage they need. Those surveyed also thought that renter's insurance was a lot more expensive than it really is.

Subscribe to Kiplinger’s Personal Finance

Be a smarter, better informed investor.

Save up to 74%

Sign up for Kiplinger’s Free E-Newsletters

Profit and prosper with the best of expert advice on investing, taxes, retirement, personal finance and more - straight to your e-mail.

Profit and prosper with the best of expert advice - straight to your e-mail.

Sign up

To continue reading this article
please register for free

This is different from signing in to your print subscription

Why am I seeing this? Find out more here

Cameron Huddleston
Former Online Editor, Kiplinger.com

Award-winning journalist, speaker, family finance expert, and author of Mom and Dad, We Need to Talk.

Cameron Huddleston wrote the daily "Kip Tips" column for Kiplinger.com. She joined Kiplinger in 2001 after graduating from American University with an MA in economic journalism.