Deposit Your Tax Refund Directly Into an IRA or Other Account – It's Easy!

If you're getting a tax refund this year, don't feel like it all has to be deposited into an ordinary bank account.

picture of the words "tax refund" on top of a stack of money
(Image credit: Getty Images)

Are you getting a federal tax refund this year? If so, don't think it has to go into an ordinary checking or savings account at your bank. Or that it all must go into just one account. You actually have several options when it comes to where you want the IRS to deposit your money. It can go into a number of different types of accounts, be split into more than one account, or even be used to buy savings bonds. It's all up to you – and it's pretty easy to send your tax refund in different directions.

Subscribe to Kiplinger’s Personal Finance

Be a smarter, better informed investor.

Save up to 74%

Sign up for Kiplinger’s Free E-Newsletters

Profit and prosper with the best of expert advice on investing, taxes, retirement, personal finance and more - straight to your e-mail.

Profit and prosper with the best of expert advice - straight to your e-mail.

Sign up

To continue reading this article
please register for free

This is different from signing in to your print subscription

Why am I seeing this? Find out more here

Rocky Mengle

Rocky Mengle was a Senior Tax Editor for Kiplinger from October 2018 to January 2023 with more than 20 years of experience covering federal and state tax developments. Before coming to Kiplinger, Rocky worked for Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting, and Kleinrock Publishing, where he provided breaking news and guidance for CPAs, tax attorneys, and other tax professionals. He has also been quoted as an expert by USA Today, Forbes, U.S. News & World Report, Reuters, Accounting Today, and other media outlets. Rocky holds a law degree from the University of Connecticut and a B.A. in History from Salisbury University.