Social Security Asked You For Money Back — Now What?

The Social Security Administration sent you an overpayment notice. Here’s what you need to do next.

An older woman looks at some paperwork while standing in her home.
(Image credit: Getty Images)

The Social Security Administration (SSA) has a $23 billion overpayment problem that it's trying to resolve by sending notices to those it overpaid — and asking for it back.

Here’s what you need to know about the overpayments and the notices, as well as what to do if you receive one.

Subscribe to Kiplinger’s Personal Finance

Be a smarter, better informed investor.

Save up to 74%

Sign up for Kiplinger’s Free E-Newsletters

Profit and prosper with the best of expert advice on investing, taxes, retirement, personal finance and more - straight to your e-mail.

Profit and prosper with the best of expert advice - straight to your e-mail.

Sign up

To continue reading this article
please register for free

This is different from signing in to your print subscription

Why am I seeing this? Find out more here

Joey Solitro

Joey Solitro is a freelance financial journalist at Kiplinger with more than a decade of experience. A longtime equity analyst, Joey has covered a range of industries for media outlets including The Motley Fool, Seeking Alpha, Market Realist, and TipRanks. Joey holds a bachelor's degree in business administration.