Foreign Stocks & Emerging Markets

Time to Buy Japanese Shares with T.Rowe Price Japan?

In a weak global economy, T. Rowe Price Japan finds firms with healthy balance sheets.

Archibald Ciganer took the helm of T. Rowe Price Japan (symbol, PRJPX) in late 2013, and things began to go south soon after. In 2014, the value of the U.S. dollar soared against the yen, sapping the returns of U.S. investors in Japanese stocks, whose yen-based profits were converted into fewer greenbacks. The average Japan stock fund surrendered 4.6% that year; T. Rowe Price Japan shed 8.5%. Since then, the fund has been stellar, besting the MSCI Japan index and its average peer fund in each of the past six calendar years, including so far in 2020.

Japanese stocks have lagged U.S. shares so far this year. Recovery will ultimately be tied to bounce-backs in the U.S. and Chinese economies, which tend to fuel growth in the Japanese stock market, Ciganer says. But Japanese firms have some of the strongest balance sheets in the world to weather the current storm, and periods of weakness in the global economy have historically been the best time to buy Japanese stocks, Ciganer says.

Ciganer relies on input from a team of nine analysts, each covering different sectors of the Japanese economy. He dedicates some 75% of the portfolio to companies he believes are poised to deliver robust growth in earnings and free cash flow (cash profits after expenses to maintain and improve the business) and stand to benefit from long-term trends. The remaining 25% of the portfolio contains companies undergoing significant changes—such as an acquisition or a shift in business strategy—that investors have yet to factor into the stock price.

Ciganer wasn’t afraid to shake things up when the global economy plunged earlier this year. He trimmed some of his better performers and added laggards that still hold appeal over the long term, including Tokyo Disney owner and operator Oriental Lands. Despite recent park closures, Ciganer is bullish on the prospects for long-term growth in leisure travel from China and other emerging countries in Asia.

The fund also picked up FANCL, a dietary supplements and cosmetics company that should benefit from an upcoming expansion into China. Both stocks have rebounded nicely from their March lows. So far in 2020, the fund’s 4.8% return clobbers its benchmark by 10.4 percentage points.

Most Popular

Are You Still Chasing the Almighty Dollar, Even Though You Have Plenty to Retire?
retirement

Are You Still Chasing the Almighty Dollar, Even Though You Have Plenty to Retire?

In our experience, many have saved enough money to retire comfortably. Yet too many worry about their money running out and want more. Maybe it’s tim…
May 6, 2021
Child Tax Credit 2021: Who Gets $3,600? Will I Get Monthly Payments? And Other FAQs
Coronavirus and Your Money

Child Tax Credit 2021: Who Gets $3,600? Will I Get Monthly Payments? And Other FAQs

People have lots of questions about the new $3,000 or $3,600 child tax credit and the advance payments that the IRS will send to most families in 2021…
May 4, 2021
20 Dividend Stocks to Fund 20 Years of Retirement
dividend stocks

20 Dividend Stocks to Fund 20 Years of Retirement

Each of these high-quality dividend stocks yields roughly 4%, and you can expect them to grow their payouts even more. That's a powerful 1-2 combo for…
May 7, 2021

Recommended

Stock Market Today 5/7/21: Stocks Rise as Jarring Jobs Miss Cools Taper Talk
Stock Market Today

Stock Market Today 5/7/21: Stocks Rise as Jarring Jobs Miss Cools Taper Talk

The Dow and S&P 500 ended the week at new highs after a big nonfarm payrolls miss eased anxiety the Fed will tighten the purse strings.
May 7, 2021
Kiplinger's Weekly Earnings Calendar
stocks

Kiplinger's Weekly Earnings Calendar

Check out our earnings calendar for the upcoming week, as well as our previews of the more noteworthy reports.
May 7, 2021
Stock Market Today 5/6/21: Dow Hits Record, Nasdaq Snaps Skid After Late Push
Stock Market Today

Stock Market Today 5/6/21: Dow Hits Record, Nasdaq Snaps Skid After Late Push

A sharp drop in unemployment claims had the Dow poised for another record, but an afternoon push got the Nasdaq into the black, too.
May 6, 2021
Stock Market Today 5/5/21: Dow Ekes Out Record, Nasdaq Retreats Again
Stock Market Today

Stock Market Today 5/5/21: Dow Ekes Out Record, Nasdaq Retreats Again

Energy and materials stocks led the way Wednesday as good (albeit not great) economic data was enough to push the Dow to new highs.
May 5, 2021