Our Guide to Saving on Your 2018 Taxes

We help you navigate the ins and outs of the new tax law and get the biggest refund—or lowest tax bill—possible.

Supporters of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act said the new law would cut taxes for millions of Americans and shrink their returns to the size of a postcard, drastically reducing the amount of time required to file.

The tax overhaul will indeed lower taxes for many taxpayers, but the upcoming filing season—the first since the tax law took effect—could introduce new headaches, complications and unexpected costs. Deductions and other tax breaks that taxpayers have claimed for years have been capped or eliminated. Self-employed people will probably need to hire an accountant to navigate a new money-saving tax break. And that streamlined tax return? While the new Form 1040 is shorter than the old one, it comes with 117 pages of instructions.

Subscribe to Kiplinger’s Personal Finance

Be a smarter, better informed investor.

Save up to 74%

Sign up for Kiplinger’s Free E-Newsletters

Profit and prosper with the best of expert advice on investing, taxes, retirement, personal finance and more - straight to your e-mail.

Profit and prosper with the best of expert advice - straight to your e-mail.

Sign up

To continue reading this article
please register for free

This is different from signing in to your print subscription

Why am I seeing this? Find out more here

Sandra Block
Senior Editor, Kiplinger's Personal Finance

Block joined Kiplinger in June 2012 from USA Today, where she was a reporter and personal finance columnist for more than 15 years. Prior to that, she worked for the Akron Beacon-Journal and Dow Jones Newswires. In 1993, she was a Knight-Bagehot fellow in economics and business journalism at the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism. She has a BA in communications from Bethany College in Bethany, W.Va.