Some Self-Employed Taxpayers Get a Big Break Under New Law

The new tax law allows many self-employed workers to deduct up to 20% of qualified business income.

(Image credit: Photo Copyright, Nader Khouri 2018)

If you’re self-employed or have a side gig, you could qualify for one of the most generous provisions in the tax overhaul enacted by Congress late last year. But if you don’t already have an accountant or tax preparer, you might need one, because this tax break is also one of the most complex provisions in the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act.

Subscribe to Kiplinger’s Personal Finance

Be a smarter, better informed investor.

Save up to 74%

Sign up for Kiplinger’s Free E-Newsletters

Profit and prosper with the best of expert advice on investing, taxes, retirement, personal finance and more - straight to your e-mail.

Profit and prosper with the best of expert advice - straight to your e-mail.

Sign up

To continue reading this article
please register for free

This is different from signing in to your print subscription

Why am I seeing this? Find out more here

Sandra Block
Senior Editor, Kiplinger's Personal Finance

Block joined Kiplinger in June 2012 from USA Today, where she was a reporter and personal finance columnist for more than 15 years. Prior to that, she worked for the Akron Beacon-Journal and Dow Jones Newswires. In 1993, she was a Knight-Bagehot fellow in economics and business journalism at the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism. She has a BA in communications from Bethany College in Bethany, W.Va.