Amend Your Tax Return to Correct a Mistake

Tax Tips

Amend Your Tax Return to Correct a Filing Mistake

Advice on how to fix an error on your tax return.


I realize I made a mistake on my 2015 taxes. Is it too late to fix it?

You generally have up to three years from the due date of the original return to file an amended return. Use IRS Form 1040X to note the changes you're making, and include revised copies of any supplemental forms that are affected (such as Schedule A for changes to itemized deductions).

You cannot e-file an amended return. Amended returns take up to 16 weeks to process, so if you owe additional taxes, pay as soon as possible to avoid interest and penalty charges. If the change you've made lowers your tax bill, the IRS will send you a refund.

Sponsored Content

See Also: 6 Tax Filing Mistakes That Can Cost You Money