Undo Your Social Security Claiming Decision
How to reverse an early benefit claim designation.
I took Social Security at age 62 and have since changed my mind. Can I undo the decision?
9 Financial Fumbles You Can Fix
- Rules for Paying Off Back Taxes
- Resolve a Complaint About an eBay Purchase
- Undo Your Social Security Claiming Decision
- Resolve a Dispute With a Home Contractor
- Amend Your Tax Return to Correct a Filing Mistake
- Repair Your Credit Score
- What to Do If You're Delinquent on Student Loans
- Change an Airline Ticket
- Get Out of a Time-Share Deal
Maybe. If you change your mind within 12 months of claiming benefits, you can withdraw your application by filing Form SSA-521.
You'll need to repay all of the money you received, including any spousal benefits (but not including interest). You can then restart benefits later. Your benefit amount rises with age, until you reach 70. Note that you are limited to one withdrawal of your application.