Best Black Friday Deals at Home Depot and Lowe's 2017
Look for bargains on appliances, tools and holiday decor at the home improvement chains during Black Friday sales.
Home improvement retailers aren’t front-of-mind for most Black Friday shoppers, but they should be. Home Depot and Lowe’s stores are closed on Thanksgiving, but both retailers are offering online-only specials on Thanksgiving Day. Some pre-Black Friday deals are already available online and in stores. Many Black Friday deals are only good for as along as supplies last, so if you see something you can't live without at a can't-miss price, jump on it.
According to shopping experts, the best things to buy during Black Friday sales in 2017 at Home Depot and Lowe's are holiday decor, tools and, above all, appliances. “Some of the best Black Friday and holiday deals at home improvement stores like Lowe’s and The Home Depot will center around large kitchen appliances such as refrigerators, washers/dryers and dishwashers,” says savings expert Andrea Woroch.
Courtney Jespersen, consumer affairs expert at NerdWallet, agrees.
Subscribe to Kiplinger’s Personal Finance
Be a smarter, better informed investor.
Sign up for Kiplinger’s Free E-Newsletters
Profit and prosper with the best of expert advice on investing, taxes, retirement, personal finance and more - straight to your e-mail.
Profit and prosper with the best of expert advice - straight to your e-mail.
“Appliances are almost always your best bet for savings at home improvement stores on Black Friday,” says Jespersen. “In addition to percent-off deals, shoppers are typically rewarded for buying more than one appliance with an additional discount. This usually takes the form of a gift card, rebate or instant savings.”
We reached out to several deals experts including Woroch and Jespersen to see what kinds of bargains Lowe’s and Home Depot have on tap for Black Friday shoppers. Here’s what we found. Before digging into these holiday deals from the top two home improvement retailers, be sure to brush up on our 11 Secrets of Home Improvement Shopping at Lowe’s and 12 Secrets to Shopping at Home Depot.
Black Friday Sales at Home Depot
Home Depot will be closed on Thanksgiving, but Brent Shelton of deals site BFAds.net notes that new online deals will hit the website at 6 a.m. Eastern Time on Thanksgiving Day. Stores will open their doors at 6 a.m. on Black Friday, when shoppers can find more holiday deals. Not interested in shopping on Thanksgiving or Black Friday? Instead, shop early...or late.
"Right now at Home Depot, appliance special buys are up to 40% off," says Jespersen, "This includes popular brands, like Samsung and Whirlpool. Plus, shoppers can instantly save an extra $500, depending on how many appliances they buy. For instance, buy two or more select major appliances of $498 or more and get $50 off. Or, buy six select major appliances of $498 or more and get $500 off. This deal is valid through Nov. 30, so it lasts even after Black Friday is over."
Rebecca Lehmann of the deals site Brad's Deals says look to Home Depot for other items, as well. “The discounts on artificial trees are worth a look. Lots of great deals on tools like electric drills, shop vacs, and you can pick up an [Amazon] Echo or Echo Dot while you're there,” she says. “That may sound weird, but they're the key to building out a smart home, which is right up Home Depot's alley when you think about it. Along those same lines, I'd look for a good deal on Philips Hue [wireless lighting] kits there, too. Home automation is right at home here, pardon the pun.”
Jeanette Pavini, savings expert at Coupons.com, likes several of the deals offered by Home Depot including big discounts on appliances for the entire month of November:
- GE 4.5 cubic foot high-efficiency top-load washer, $499 ($300 off)
- GE 7.4 cubic foot high efficiency electric dryer, $499 ($300 off)
- Frigidaire 21.9 cubic foot French door refrigerator (stainless steel), $1,398 ($1,351 off)
- Samsung 25.5 cubic foot French door refrigerator (stainless steel), $998 ($776 off)
- RIDGID 18-volt lithium ion 2-tool kit drill for $149
- Dyna-Glo 4-burner gas grill for $99
- Honeywell smart touchscreen thermostat, $79 ($70 off)
Adds Carson Yarbrough, savings and retail expert at Offers.com, “Home Depot is also offering free in-store pickup on over a million items eligible online, saving shoppers time and convenience when purchasing the items they need online, with pickup available in as little as two hours.”
Shelton cherry-picked a few more Black Friday specials from Home Depot including:
- Milwaukee M18 18-volt lithium Ion cordless drill driver/impact driver combo kit, $149 (was $199)
- Dewalt 20-volt MAX lithium ion cordless combo 5-tool kit, $299 (was $399)
- Gorilla Ladders 22-foot ladder and ladder wheel kit, $99.98 (was $199)
- Husky 46-inch 9-drawer steel mobile work center, $199 (was $298)
- Husky 268-piece mechanics tool set, $99 (was $199)
- Werner 6-foot fiberglass ladder, $34.98 (was $72.26)
- 9-foot Quick Set Grand Duchess Slim Pine pre-lit, $99 (was $179)
- Poinsettias, 99 cents each
Black Friday Sales at Lowe's
It's all about appliances at Lowe's for Black Friday. Jespersen likes a deal on a Samsung top-load washer/dryer pair for $379 each (was $549 apiece). "Select appliance special values are up to 40% off," she says. "Shoppers can also get up to a $500 Lowe’s gift card via rebate when they buy multiple eligible appliances.”
Some appealing appliance deals Pavini has spotted at Lowe's include:
- LG 2-cubic cubic foot over-the-range microwave with sensor cooking, $249 ($50 off)
- Samsung 25.5-cubic foot French door refrigerator with ice maker (silver or black), $999 ($1,200 off)
- GE smooth surface freestanding 5-element 5.3-cubic foot self-cleaning stove, $749 ($350 off)
- Samsung smooth surface freestanding 5-element 5.9-cubic foot self-cleaning stove, $449 ($250 off)
- Samsung 50-decibel built-in dishwasher and hard food disposer, $399 ($200 off)
- GE 45-decibel built-in dishwasher with bottle wash and hard food disposer, $699 ($300 off)
Shelton dove deeper with a few non-appliance Black Friday sale items at Lowe's:
- Kobalt 227-piece standard (SAE) mechanic's tool set with hard case for $99 (was $199)
- Kobalt 347-piece standard (SAE) and metric mechanic's tool set with hard case for $399 (was $599)
- Kobalt 1000 Series 32.5-in x 26.5-in 4-drawer friction steel black tool cabinet for $49 (was $99)
- Rayovac AA 36-pack household batteries for $5.97 (was $15)
- Werner 17-ft aluminum 300-pound telescoping type multi-position Ladder for $80 (was $119)
- 7.5-foot Welch Pine pre-lit tree for $69 (was $179)
- Real Christmas trees plus $10 Lowe's gift card starting at $29.98
Bob was Senior Editor at Kiplinger.com for seven years and is now a contributor to the website. He has more than 40 years of experience in online, print and visual journalism. Bob has worked as an award-winning writer and editor in the Washington, D.C., market as well as at news organizations in New York, Michigan and California. Bob joined Kiplinger in 2016, bringing a wealth of expertise covering retail, entertainment, and money-saving trends and topics. He was one of the first journalists at a daily news organization to aggressively cover retail as a specialty and has been lauded in the retail industry for his expertise. Bob has also been an adjunct and associate professor of print, online and visual journalism at Syracuse University and Ithaca College. He has a master’s degree from Syracuse University’s S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications and a bachelor’s degree in communications and theater from Hope College.
Stung by Netflix Password Sharing Fees? You're Far From Alone
A new streaming survey shows Netflix password sharing changes could affect a surprising percentage of American subscribers.
By Ben Demers • Published
Stock Market Today: Stocks Close Lower Ahead of Key Debt Ceiling Vote
The major benchmarks spent most of Wednesday in the red as the House prepares to vote on the debt ceiling deal this evening.
By Karee Venema • Published
How to Appeal an Unexpected Medical Bill
health insurance You may receive a bill because your insurance company denied a claim—but that doesn’t mean you have to pay it.
By Rivan V. Stinson • Published
Amazon Prime Fees Are Rising. Here’s How to Cancel Your Amazon Prime Membership
Amazon Prime Amazon Prime will soon cost $139 a year, $180 for those who pay monthly. If you’re a subscriber, maybe it’s time to rethink your relationship. Here’s a step-by-step guide to canceling Prime.
By Bob Niedt • Last updated
Homebuilder Stocks Get a Pandemic Boost
Becoming an Investor As COVID shifts to an endemic, housing stocks could get a lift should Americans move to homes with more space and amenities.
By James K. Glassman • Published
How to Haggle for Almost Anything
Smart Buying Learning how to haggle is an invaluable skill. These strategies will help you negotiate a better price for just about any product or service.
By Katherine Reynolds Lewis • Last updated
Disability Insurance Can Provide COVID Coverage
Coronavirus and Your Money If you are concerned about long-term complications from COVID-19, consider disability insurance coverage.
By Rivan V. Stinson • Published
19 Things You Can't Return to Amazon
Amazon Prime Before tossing these items into your virtual shopping cart, be sure to read Amazon's return policy first.
By Bob Niedt • Published
How to Avoid a Charity Scam
personal finance Scammers never quit, even when you're trying to be altruistic. But you can avoid getting duped if you do your homework.
By Rivan V. Stinson • Published
Where to Find the Best Mother's Day Gift Deals and Free Shipping Offers
Smart Buying Get an early start on your Mother's Day shopping so shipping delays don't thwart your best intentions.
By Andrea Browne Taylor • Published