Top Tech Bargains of 2018
An expert shares her tips for buying electronics on a budget.
We asked Lindsay Sakraida, of bargain-hunting website DealNews.com, where to find the best bargains in tech this summer.
Guide to Scoring the Best Deals in 2018
- Disrupter Deal: The Instant Pot
- Get the Real Deal for Less
- Best Bets for Grocery Deliveries
- Refurbished and Open-Box Deals
- Disrupter Deal: No Strings Streaming
- Best Deals in Low-Cost Cloud Storage
- Skip the Sales Tax
- Sales on Consumer Staples Stocks
- Disrupter Deal: Trade Stocks Commission-Free
- Trade Funds Commission-Free with Charles Schwab
- Hot Savings on Flights to Hawaii
- Get a Free Hotel Room
- Rent an RV for a Dollar a Day
- Disrupter Deal: Two-in-One Trips
Laptops. Look for deals on mid-tier laptops with newer CPUs. Prices on models with up to 4 gigabytes of RAM and 1 terabyte of storage hover around $400. Basic, budget-friendly PCs with less power and storage will run about $200.
TVs. This summer, you’ll spot name-brand 55-inch models with 4K resolution for as little as $400. Even budget options are typically 4K these days; you likely won’t save much with a 1080p model.
Tablets. August can be a good time to get discounts on Apple iPads as stores anticipate the arrival of the new-generation models. The fifth-generation 9.7-inch iPad, for example, recently sold for $229. Meanwhile, the Surface Pro 12-inch tablet should sell for about $500.
Smartphones. Watch for deals on Samsung’s latest flagship phone, the Galaxy S9. You’ll find the unlocked base model for about $550 and deals on the S9+ starting at a little more than $600. For a deal on an Apple iPhone, you’ll have to buy a refurbished model.
Smart watches. Stunning discounts on Apple watches are likely to continue, says Sakraida. You should be able to get a Series 1 watch for $150 to $180 and a Series 3 model starting at $280.