Six Ways to Build Your Retirement Savings
Follow this strategy to have enough for your golden years.
1. Contribute at least enough to your 401(k) plan to capture your employer's match, and bump up future contributions automatically.
2. If you are 50 or older, make additional "catch-up" contributions of up to $5,000 a year.
3. If you own a business, take advantage of tax breaks and shift the additional money to savings.
4. Don't raid your retirement accounts early. You'll lose the benefits of compounding.
5. Plan to work a few years longer to fatten your kitty and your Social Security check.
6. If you are already retired, reduce your annual withdrawals until the stock market bounces back.