Tax Credits for College Expenses

These tax benefits put the money you spend on qualified educational expenses back in your pocket. You have to choose which benefit to claim because you cannot use the same expenses to claim more than one benefit.

American Opportunity Credit

This credit is available for expenses incurred by students who attend college at least half-time during their first four years of undergraduate education. It replaces (at least temporarily)—and improves upon—the Hope credit, which was available for only the first two years of higher education. (A tax credit is a dollar-for-dollar reduction of your tax liability.) It will be in effect at least through 2010. An enhanced Hope credit was available through 2009 for students who attended college in a midwestern disaster area (see Publication 970 at

SEE ALSO: Master the Financial Aid Process

A parent, spouse or student who is not claimed as a dependent can take a federal income-tax credit equal to 100% of the first $2,000 spent on qualified education expenses—tuition, fees and textbooks—and 25% of the next $2,000, for a total credit of $2,500 for each qualifying student. If the credit more than wipes out your tax liability for the year, you’ll get a refund check from the IRS for up to $1,000 for each qualifying student.

Married couples filing jointly qualify for the full credit with a modified adjusted gross income of $160,000 or less, and single filers qualify with an income of $80,000 or less. The credit phases out completely at $180,000 for married couples and $90,000 for single filers.


Lifetime Learning

With this credit, you can claim 20% of your out-of-pocket costs for tuition, fees and books, up to $10,000, for a total of $2,000. Unlike the American Opportunity and Hope credits, the credit is not limited to undergraduate educational expenses, nor does the credit apply only to students attending at least half-time. You can claim the credit for yourself, your spouse or your dependent up to $2,000 per family each year.

You qualify for the benefit if your modified adjusted gross income is no higher than $120,000 for married couples filing jointly or $60,000 for single filers. Couples get the full credit at $100,000; singles at $50,000.

Editor's Picks From Kiplinger

You can get valuable updates from Kiplinger sent directly to your email. Simply enter your e-mail address and click "sign up".

More Sponsored Links


Permission to post your comment is assumed when you submit it. The name you provide will be used to identify your post, and NOT your e-mail address. We reserve the right to excerpt or edit any posted comments for clarity, appropriateness, civility, and relevance to the topic.
View our full privacy policy

Get valuable updates from Kiplinger directly to your e-mail

Market Update


Featured Videos From Kiplinger