Wills for the Young, Single or Broke

Even if you aren't rich and don't have children or a spouse, you still need to spell out your wishes in case you die or can't make medical decisions for yourself. Plus, we help you decide whether to write your will on your own or if you need to hire

Let's play a word association game. I say "estate planning," and you say ...

Did your eyes glaze over at the mere mention of the term? I'll be the first to admit the phrase sounds a bit hoity-toity. Many people think wills are just for people who are rich, old, own property, are married or have children. But even if none of those applies to you -- in fact, even if you're flat broke -- you still need a plan.

Swipe to scroll horizontally

Subscribe to Kiplinger’s Personal Finance

Be a smarter, better informed investor.

Save up to 74%

Sign up for Kiplinger’s Free E-Newsletters

Profit and prosper with the best of expert advice on investing, taxes, retirement, personal finance and more - straight to your e-mail.

Profit and prosper with the best of expert advice - straight to your e-mail.

Sign up

To continue reading this article
please register for free

This is different from signing in to your print subscription

Why am I seeing this? Find out more here

Erin Burt
Contributing Editor, Kiplinger.com