Making IRA and 401(k) Contributions in 2017

Ask Kim

What You Need to Know About Making IRA and 401(k) Contributions in 2017

Contribution limits won't change, but income limits will increase slightly.


How much can I contribute to my IRA and 401(k) in 2017?

The contribution limits aren't changing in 2017. You'll still be able to contribute up to $18,000 to a 401(k), 403(b), 457 or Thrift Savings Plan. If you're 50 or older anytime in 2017, you can also make a catch-up contribution of up to $6,000, bringing your total to $24,000.

USE OUR TOOL: Retirement Savings Calculator

The IRA contribution limits remain the same for 2017, too: $5,500, plus an extra $1,000 catch-up contribution if you're 50 or older.

The income limits to qualify to make Roth IRA contributions are increasing very slightly – by $1,000 for single filers and $2,000 for married couples filing jointly. If you're a single filer, you'll be able to contribute the full amount to a Roth IRA in 2017 if your adjusted gross income is less than $118,000, and the contribution amount phases out completely if you earn more than $133,000. Joint filers can contribute the full amount if their income is less than $186,000 in 2017, with the contribution amount phasing out completely if they earn more than $196,000.


SEE ALSO: 10 Things You Must Know About Traditional IRAs

The income limits to qualify for the retirement savers’ tax credit are also rising by a very small amount. To be eligible for the credit, income must be less than $31,000 for single filers, $46,500 for heads of household or $62,000 for married couples filing jointly in 2017. The credit can be worth up to $1,000 per person, or up to $2,000 for married couples, with the size of the credit based on income and the amount of money contributed to a retirement-savings plan, such as a 401(k) or IRA. The lower your income, the larger the credit. If your income is just below the cutoff, the credit is worth up to $200 per person or $400 for a married couple. For more information about the savers' credit, see Who Qualifies for the Retirement Savers' Tax Credit?

Got a question? Ask Kim at