Tax Forms: Cracking the Code

There are a slew of new tax breaks for 2009 returns, but you have to know how to claim them.

Schedule L This is the form that non-itemizers use to claim additions to the standard deduction, including the property-tax deduction, the sales-tax deduction on new vehicles, and disaster losses.

Schedule M You must fill out this new schedule to claim the Making Work Pay credit, even if you already received the benefit through lower tax withholding from your paycheck during the year. (Taxpayers who file Form 1040EZ must use the worksheet for the credit on the back of the form.)

Subscribe to Kiplinger’s Personal Finance

Be a smarter, better informed investor.

Save up to 74%

Sign up for Kiplinger’s Free E-Newsletters

Profit and prosper with the best of expert advice on investing, taxes, retirement, personal finance and more - straight to your e-mail.

Profit and prosper with the best of expert advice - straight to your e-mail.

Sign up

To continue reading this article
please register for free

This is different from signing in to your print subscription

Why am I seeing this? Find out more here

Mary Beth Franklin
Former Senior Editor, Kiplinger's Personal Finance