Using 529-Plan Money for College Overseas

If your son or daughter plans to attend college abroad, here's what you should know.

hand putting a dollar into a 529 Plan coin jar -- college education savings concept
(Image credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto)

Question: My daughter may go to college in Europe next year. Can we use her 529 college-savings money tax-free outside of the U.S.? - S.S., Lubbock, Texas

Answer: Yes. You can use 529 money tax-free at any college that is elig­ible for federal financial aid, which includes more than 400 foreign institutions, says Mark Kantrowitz, of To look up eligible schools, go to

Subscribe to Kiplinger’s Personal Finance

Be a smarter, better informed investor.

Save up to 74%

Sign up for Kiplinger’s Free E-Newsletters

Profit and prosper with the best of expert advice on investing, taxes, retirement, personal finance and more - straight to your e-mail.

Profit and prosper with the best of expert advice - straight to your e-mail.

Sign up
Kimberly Lankford
Contributing Editor, Kiplinger's Personal Finance

As the "Ask Kim" columnist for Kiplinger's Personal Finance, Lankford receives hundreds of personal finance questions from readers every month. She is the author of Rescue Your Financial Life (McGraw-Hill, 2003), The Insurance Maze: How You Can Save Money on Insurance -- and Still Get the Coverage You Need (Kaplan, 2006), Kiplinger's Ask Kim for Money Smart Solutions (Kaplan, 2007) and The Kiplinger/BBB Personal Finance Guide for Military Families. She is frequently featured as a financial expert on television and radio, including NBC's Today Show, CNN, CNBC and National Public Radio.