Get a Tax Break on Child-Care Costs

You may be able to write off the cost of day camp for your kids if you work.

Can I take the child-care tax credit for the cost of summer camp?

If it is a day camp, not an overnight camp, then the cost of camp can count toward the child-care credit. The camp can be both over school vacations and during the summer. To qualify, your child must be younger than 13 and must attend camp while you and your spouse work or look for work (one spouse can be a full-time student while the other works). For parents who are divorced or separated, the custodial parent is usually the one who can claim the credit.

Subscribe to Kiplinger’s Personal Finance

Be a smarter, better informed investor.

Save up to 74%

Sign up for Kiplinger’s Free E-Newsletters

Profit and prosper with the best of expert advice on investing, taxes, retirement, personal finance and more - straight to your e-mail.

Profit and prosper with the best of expert advice - straight to your e-mail.

Sign up

To continue reading this article
please register for free

This is different from signing in to your print subscription

Why am I seeing this? Find out more here

Kimberly Lankford
Contributing Editor, Kiplinger's Personal Finance

As the "Ask Kim" columnist for Kiplinger's Personal Finance, Lankford receives hundreds of personal finance questions from readers every month. She is the author of Rescue Your Financial Life (McGraw-Hill, 2003), The Insurance Maze: How You Can Save Money on Insurance -- and Still Get the Coverage You Need (Kaplan, 2006), Kiplinger's Ask Kim for Money Smart Solutions (Kaplan, 2007) and The Kiplinger/BBB Personal Finance Guide for Military Families. She is frequently featured as a financial expert on television and radio, including NBC's Today Show, CNN, CNBC and National Public Radio.