How a Move Can Change Your 529 Plan Tax Deduction

The tax deduction you get for contributing to your state’s 529 plan can disappear if you move to another state.

Question: We opened a 529 college-savings plan in our home state of New York for a grandchild. But early this year, we moved to Idaho. Can we continue to deduct our contributions to the 529 on our Idaho income tax return?

Answer: You won’t get an Idaho state income tax deduction for contributing to the New York 529 plan. You can, however, qualify for an Idaho income tax deduction of up to $6,000 per year (or $12,000 for married couples filing jointly) if you open an account with the Idaho 529 plan and contribute to it. You can keep your New York 529 plan or roll the money over to the Idaho plan.

Subscribe to Kiplinger’s Personal Finance

Be a smarter, better informed investor.

Save up to 74%

Sign up for Kiplinger’s Free E-Newsletters

Profit and prosper with the best of expert advice on investing, taxes, retirement, personal finance and more - straight to your e-mail.

Profit and prosper with the best of expert advice - straight to your e-mail.

Sign up

To continue reading this article
please register for free

This is different from signing in to your print subscription

Why am I seeing this? Find out more here

Kimberly Lankford
Contributing Editor, Kiplinger's Personal Finance

As the "Ask Kim" columnist for Kiplinger's Personal Finance, Lankford receives hundreds of personal finance questions from readers every month. She is the author of Rescue Your Financial Life (McGraw-Hill, 2003), The Insurance Maze: How You Can Save Money on Insurance -- and Still Get the Coverage You Need (Kaplan, 2006), Kiplinger's Ask Kim for Money Smart Solutions (Kaplan, 2007) and The Kiplinger/BBB Personal Finance Guide for Military Families. She is frequently featured as a financial expert on television and radio, including NBC's Today Show, CNN, CNBC and National Public Radio.