Using 529-Plan Money for College Overseas

Ask Kim

Using 529-Plan Money for College Overseas

If your son or daughter plans to attend college abroad, here's what you should know.

Getty Images

QMy daughter may go to college in Europe next year. Can we use her 529 college-savings money tax-free outside of the U.S.? - S.S., Lubbock, Texas

See Also: How Well Do You Know College 529 Plans?

AYes. You can use 529 money tax-free at any college that is eligĀ­ible for federal financial aid, which includes more than 400 foreign institutions, says Mark Kantrowitz, of To look up eligible schools, go to

Sponsored Content

Got a question? Ask Kim at