Kiplinger Today

Required Minimum Distributions (RMDs)

3 Money-Smart Ways to Use Your RMDs


Some would call it a nice problem to have. But for many retirees, it's a problem nonetheless to figure out what to do with required minimum distributions from an IRA when you don't need the money right away but want to preserve some of the IRA's tax advantages. Once you turn 70 1/2, you must take annual distributions based on the value of your account and your life expectancy. Some options to consider:

See Also: TOOL: What Is My IRA Required Minimum Distribution?

Reinvest. Municipal bonds or muni bond funds will provide income that's usually exempt from federal taxes and, in some cases, state and local taxes, too.

Give to charity. A law that allowed retirees to transfer up to $100,000 from their IRAs to charity has expired, but Congress may renew it before year-end. The tax-free transfers would count as your RMD.

Pay a grandchild's education costs. Fund a 529 savings account -- in some states you'll qualify for a deduction. If you fund an education savings account instead, you won't get an up-front break. But future earnings are tax-free, and the money can be used for college costs or K–12 private school.

See Also: Special Report on Required Minimum Distributions

Editor's Picks From Kiplinger


Permission to post your comment is assumed when you submit it. The name you provide will be used to identify your post, and NOT your e-mail address. We reserve the right to excerpt or edit any posted comments for clarity, appropriateness, civility, and relevance to the topic.
View our full privacy policy


Market Update