Ask Kim

Kim Lankford answers your questions about managing money -- specifically, insurance and taxes -- twice a week.

November 17, 2017

When to Take Your First Required Minimum Distribution From an IRA

You may be able to postpone taking your first required distribution from an IRA until the following year, but that can trigger a bigger tax bill.

See More On: Required Minimum Distributions (RMDs) | 401(k)s | IRAs

November 14, 2017

Land a Retail Job for the Holiday Season

Retailers will add hundreds of thousands of seasonal workers for the holidays. How to find a job—and possibly turn it into a permanent position.

See More On: Careers

November 10, 2017

The Big Pension Decision Military Service Members Must Make in 2018

Service members who joined armed forces in recent years must decide whether to stay in the military’s old retirement system or join the new one. Here’s how to choose the system that’s best for you.

See More On: Saving for Retirement | Family Finances | Financial Planning

November 8, 2017

How to Qualify for a Health Savings Account and Trim Your Tax Bill

Health savings accounts provide a triple tax break to consumers. Contribution limits are going up slightly in 2018, but so are deductibles for eligible policies.

See More On: Health Care & Insurance | Tax Breaks

November 3, 2017

A Child-Care Tax Break for Working Parents

New parents and those with pre-teens can save on taxes (for now) when paying for child care by signing up for an employer's dependent-care flexible spending account.

See More On: Family Finances | Tax Breaks | Tax Planning

November 1, 2017

10 Things You Need to Know About Health Insurance Open Enrollment

If you're signing up for Obamacare for 2018, you'll have less time to buy coverage for next year, but here's help finding the right policy more quickly.

See More On: Health Care & Insurance

From Kiplinger's Personal Finance, December 2017

Charitable Giving Is a Family Affair

A donor-advised fund is a tax-savvy way for families to pool their charitable dollars and create the next generation of philanthropists.

See More On: Wealth Management | Estate Planning | Family Finances

October 31, 2017

Raising Cash to Make Hurricane Damage Repairs

Many hurricane victims are still waiting for payments from insurers or disaster assistance from FEMA to make home repairs. In the meantime, here are ways to raise money to get fixes under way.

See More On: Home Remodeling & Maintenance | 401(k)s | IRAs

October 25, 2017

How to Report a Tax-Free Transfer From Your IRA to Charity

The tax filing rules for qualified charitable distributions can be tricky. You must specify how much of your required minimum distribution is taxable and why part of the distribution is tax-free.

See More On: IRAs | Leisure Spending | Tax Breaks

October 20, 2017

You Can Contribute More to Your 401(k) in 2018

You'll be able to stash an extra $500 in a 401(k) or other employer-sponsored retirement plan in 2018. But the maximum annual IRA contribution will stay the same.

See More On: Saving for Retirement | 401(k)s

October 17, 2017

4 Ways RMDs Are Different for 401(k)s and for IRAs

For both types of retirement account, you need to take required minimum distributions after you turn age 70½. But there are differences in how and when you take the money.

See More On: Required Minimum Distributions (RMDs) | 401(k)s | IRAs

October 12, 2017

6 Ways to Prevent Water Damage This Winter

If the worst happens, your homeowners insurance will cover leaks and burst pipes, or water that comes into your home through your roof and windows. But it doesn't cover flooding.

See More On: Home Remodeling & Maintenance

October 6, 2017

Medicare Part D Beneficiaries May Pay Less for Prescriptions in 2018

The infamous "doughnut hole," the coverage gap in which you pay a big portion of Part D drug costs, will shrink a bit more next year.

See More On: Health Care & Insurance

October 5, 2017

File the FAFSA Now for More Financial Aid in the 2018-19 School Year

You can file your Free Application for Federal Student Aid as early as October 1 -- and the sooner, the better.

See More On: Student Loans

September 29, 2017

How to Help Victims of Hurricane Maria

Puerto Rico and other Caribbean islands will be recovering for years from Hurricane Maria's destruction. If you want to help the islands and their residents, check out these charities.

See More On: Family Finances

September 27, 2017

How Working in Retirement Affects Social Security Benefits

A paycheck can temporarily reduce Social Security payments if you're drawing benefits before your full retirement age.

See More On: Social Security

September 22, 2017

Making Charitable Donations From Your Retirement Accounts

You can't give your required minimum distribution from a 401(k) to charity without triggering a tax, but you can donate your 401(k) RMD tax-free if you roll the money over to an IRA.

See More On: Leisure Spending

Show More Stories