Retirees, Reduce Your RMDs with a Roth Conversion

Start converting some money now from a traditional IRA to a Roth. The money can grow tax-free in the Roth, and you're not required to take minimum distributions from it.

Woman in living room with laptop smiling
(Image credit: (c) Monkey Business Images Ltd)

I turned 65 this year. I am retired and living on my pension. I will have to take required minimum distributions from my IRA when I turn 70 1/2. How should I reinvest the RMDs from my IRA to reduce the taxes on them in the future? --J.H., via e-mail

Subscribe to Kiplinger’s Personal Finance

Be a smarter, better informed investor.

Save up to 74%

Sign up for Kiplinger’s Free E-Newsletters

Profit and prosper with the best of expert advice on investing, taxes, retirement, personal finance and more - straight to your e-mail.

Profit and prosper with the best of expert advice - straight to your e-mail.

Sign up

To continue reading this article
please register for free

This is different from signing in to your print subscription

Why am I seeing this? Find out more here

Kimberly Lankford
Contributing Editor, Kiplinger's Personal Finance

As the "Ask Kim" columnist for Kiplinger's Personal Finance, Lankford receives hundreds of personal finance questions from readers every month. She is the author of Rescue Your Financial Life (McGraw-Hill, 2003), The Insurance Maze: How You Can Save Money on Insurance -- and Still Get the Coverage You Need (Kaplan, 2006), Kiplinger's Ask Kim for Money Smart Solutions (Kaplan, 2007) and The Kiplinger/BBB Personal Finance Guide for Military Families. She is frequently featured as a financial expert on television and radio, including NBC's Today Show, CNN, CNBC and National Public Radio.