How to Find a Lost Tax Form

You might be able to request a transcript from the IRS.

Blank income tax forms. American 1040 Individual Income Tax return form.
(Image credit: MattZ90)

I made after-tax contributions to my traditional IRA years ago, but I can’t find my Form 8606. How do I avoid getting taxed on this money again? --D.G., Seattle

You should have filed Form 8606 with the IRS every year you made nondeductible IRA contributions. The form reports your basis so you avoid paying taxes twice when the money is withdrawn. Search your records for copies of Form 5498, which your IRA administrator sends to report contributions, or look for contributions on your brokerage statements. Match that information with your old tax returns to see what you deducted.

Subscribe to Kiplinger’s Personal Finance

Be a smarter, better informed investor.

Save up to 74%

Sign up for Kiplinger’s Free E-Newsletters

Profit and prosper with the best of expert advice on investing, taxes, retirement, personal finance and more - straight to your e-mail.

Profit and prosper with the best of expert advice - straight to your e-mail.

Sign up

To continue reading this article
please register for free

This is different from signing in to your print subscription

Why am I seeing this? Find out more here

Kimberly Lankford
Contributing Editor, Kiplinger's Personal Finance

As the "Ask Kim" columnist for Kiplinger's Personal Finance, Lankford receives hundreds of personal finance questions from readers every month. She is the author of Rescue Your Financial Life (McGraw-Hill, 2003), The Insurance Maze: How You Can Save Money on Insurance -- and Still Get the Coverage You Need (Kaplan, 2006), Kiplinger's Ask Kim for Money Smart Solutions (Kaplan, 2007) and The Kiplinger/BBB Personal Finance Guide for Military Families. She is frequently featured as a financial expert on television and radio, including NBC's Today Show, CNN, CNBC and National Public Radio.