Fix Your Social Security Earnings Record

Ask Kim

How to Fix Your Social Security Earnings Record

Gather evidence of your earnings and make a call to the Social Security Administration.


QTwo years of earnings are missing from my Social Security earnings statement. How can I fix the error? --R.B., St. Paul

SEE ALSO: 10 Things You Must Know About Social Security


Call Social Security at 800-772-1213 and be prepared with a copy of your W-2 form, tax return or pay stub as evidence of the earnings. If you can’t find those documents, the Social Security Administration may be able to help you track down the information. Provide the name of your employer, the dates you worked and the name you used then (if you were married or divorced and used a different name), and an estimate of how much you earned. You can see your earnings statement by setting up a My Social Security account.

Got a question? Ask Kim at