Please enable JavaScript to view the comments powered by Disqus.
Slide Show

1 of 11

10 Money-Smart Reasons to Amend Your Tax Return

Getty Images


If you discovered that you missed taking valuable deductions or tax credits in the past, you have up to three years after the tax-filing deadline to file an amended return. Now's the time to look back over your returns from 2015, 2016 and 2017 to see if you missed any key breaks—and could get extra cash from the government.

To file an amended return, submit a separate Form 1040X for each year you're amending, note the changes you're making, and attach any tax forms that are affected by the change. And if the changes reduce your adjusted gross income or qualify you for other breaks, you may also want to amend your state income-tax return and get a refund there, too.


It can take the IRS up to 16 weeks to process an amended federal return. You can check your return's status starting three weeks after you filed using the Where's My Amended Return? tool. For more information about amended returns, see the IRS's Amended Returns factsheet.

Consider these 10 money-smart reasons to amend your tax return:

SEE ALSO: The 22 Most-Overlooked Tax Deductions


View as One Page

Sponsored Financial Content