Please enable JavaScript to view the comments powered by Disqus.


Savings Strategies for Twentysomethings

You know how important it is to save for retirement when you're young. Which type of account you fund first matters, too.

I just read your column on retirement advice for newlyweds. I'm single and in my twenties, and I have a question. I work for the federal government. I have been contributing 5% to my Thrift Savings Plan, which is the maximum the government will match, and I would like to save more. Would it be better to increase my contributions to the plan or open up a separate IRA?

Once you've captured your employer's full match, switch your contributions to a Roth IRA.


20 Small Ways to Save Big

Stop Living Paycheck to Paycheck

Personal Finance for Your 20s and 30s

As a single person, you can contribute the full $4,000 to a Roth in 2007 if your income is $99,000 or less, and make a partial contribution if your income is $114,000 or less. Once you've maxed out the Roth, you can save even more by switching back to the Thrift Savings Plan.

Dividing your money between an employer-sponsored retirement plan -- such as the federal government's TSP or a private 401(k) plan -- and a Roth IRA is a good idea because it lets you diversify your retirement savings between taxable and tax-free income.


With an employer-sponsored plan, you get a tax deduction up front but your money will be taxed when you make withdrawals in retirement. With a Roth, there's no up-front deduction but your retirement withdrawals are tax-free.

When you don't have a 401(k)

My company doesn't offer a 401(k) plan. I am contributing the maximum $4,000 to an IRA, dividing it between a traditional IRA and a Roth. What other options do I have to save more than $4,000 a year for retirement? I've put extra money into a savings account, but I'd like to do more.

First off, you deserve a pat on the back for being a super saver. Not only are you putting money aside, but your strategy is a good one.

You can easily get at the money in your savings account if you need it in an emergency. And dividing your retirement savings between a traditional IRA and a Roth IRA combines a current tax break (traditional IRA) with tax-free retirement income (Roth).


To save more for retirement, open a taxable account with a mutual fund. To minimize the tax bite, go with a fund that invests in stocks, which benefit from the 15% rate on qualified dividends and long-term capital gains (investments held at least one year).

Consider a "tax-efficient" fund, such as an index fund, that doesn't generate a lot of capital gains because it trade stocks infrequently.