Please enable JavaScript to view the comments powered by Disqus.

Ask Kim

Making Changes After a Medicare High-Income Surcharge

Surcharge is based on your last tax return on file.

Getty Images


I retired this year, so my income next year will be much lower. But I just received notice of a high-income surcharge on my Medicare premiums. Is there a way to use my newer, lower income? --M.S., Yuma, Ariz.

SEE ALSO: Navigating Medicare: Special Report


Yes. Single filers who have more than $85,000 in adjusted gross income plus tax-exempt interest income, and those who are married filing jointly who have more than $170,000, have to pay extra for Medicare Part B and Part D. The surcharge is based on your last tax return on file—generally 2016 income for 2018 premiums.

Got a question? Ask Kim at