Credit Report Error? They All Matter

Ask Kim

Credit Report Error? They All Matter

Don't dismiss a minor error. It could be the sign of something more serious.

Getty Images

QAn address listed on my credit report is incorrect. Is there any reason to start a dispute to change it? -K.K., Christine, N.D.

See Also: 7 Habits of People With Excellent Credit Scores

AIt’s a good idea to fix the error. The incorrect address could be the result of a “mixed file,” when information of two individuals gets combined into one credit report, or “it could be an indication of an attempt at identity theft,” says Paul Stephens, of the Privacy Rights Clearinghouse. You can file a dispute on the credit bureau’s website (, or Stephens advises examining all of your credit reports for suspicious activity. You can order a free copy of your credit report from each bureau once a year at

Sponsored Content

See Also: Credit Card Payoff Calculator

Got a question? Ask Kim at