7 Ways to Save on Pet Costs
1. Compare prices for flea-and-tick preventative and heartworm medications from the vet and from discount sites, such as www.1800petmeds.com.
2. Shop around for prescribed meds at pharmacies, big-box retailers and warehouse stores. Costco doesn’t require a membership to fill prescriptions, though you will pay a slightly higher price than members do.
3. Have a technician administer vaccines to save on office visits.
4. Contact your local shelter to ask about free or low-cost spaying and neutering services.
5. Buy food in bulk from a warehouse store.
6. Ask your pet store about manufacturer savings. Some offer frequent-buyer programs.