5 Gifts Dads Really Want for Father's Day
A gentle reminder: Father's Day is June 17. So you still have several days to come up with a great gift for Dad. But what do dads really want?
1. Tablet or smart phone. Slightly more than half of the men polled said they wanted one of these pricey tech gadgets. New smart phones cost about $200 and have monthly service plans that cost $100 to $200. Tablets start at about $200 for the Kindle Fire and can go as high as $800 for an iPad. It might seem like a lot to shell out for a gift, but smart phones (and even tablets) can pay for themselves. See our slide show to find out how.
2. Home-cooked meal. This gift is much easier on the budget than a tablet or smart phone. And if you feel like treating Dad to a estaurant meal, you can keep the cost of going out under control, too. Here are four sites that can help you score restaurant discounts. And read my tips for saving money when dining out with kids.
3. Tickets to a sporting event. Here's another potential budget buster, depending on the sport and league Dad wants to watch. Tickets to minor-league sporting events can be incredibly affordable, but tickets to a major-league game can cost big bucks. Don't spend more than you have to, though. Follow these tips to avoid ticket service charges, which can increase your cost by up to 50% of the ticket’s face value.
4. Power tools. Unfortunately, the best time to find deals on tools is in July (see Best and Worst Buys of June). But if your dad (or husband) really wants some new tools, Lowes.com has a list on its homepage of gifts in various price ranges -- so you can find something that fits your budget. Or just get Dad a gift card from his favorite home-improvement store and let him pick out the tools he wants. You can score discounted gift cards at sites such as Plastic Jungle and Gift Card Granny.
5. Guilt-free weekend with friends. If your dad (or husband) is the adventurous type, you can find discounted one-of-a-kind outdoor activities in major U.S. cities at zozi.com, adventure packages for less than $100 at Cloud 9 Living and deals on activities at Groupon.com.