Kiplinger Today


Three Ways to Raise Your Benefits

Claim now and claim more later. If your spouse collects benefits and you have reached your normal retirement age, you may choose to collect spousal benefits only, then apply for benefits based on your own work record later.

File and suspend. You can file for Social Security benefits to allow your husband or wife to collect spousal benefits, then immediately suspend your application so that you can continue to accumulate delayed-retirement credits and collect a larger benefit later.

Pay them back and start over. Sorry you elected to take retirement benefits too soon? You can pay back the money interest-free and reapply for a bigger benefit at an older age.

Back to: Main Story


Permission to post your comment is assumed when you submit it. The name you provide will be used to identify your post, and NOT your e-mail address. We reserve the right to excerpt or edit any posted comments for clarity, appropriateness, civility, and relevance to the topic.
View our full privacy policy


Market Update