Kiplinger Today


A Sweet Deal on Roth IRA Conversions

UPDATE: Since this story was published, questions have been raised about the strategy it discusses . . . of moving only after-tax money from a 401(k) to a Roth IRA. Although it is not crystal clear, it appears that the IRS believes a rollover of a 401(k) to a Roth IRA would be treated the same as a rollover from a traditional IRA to a Roth -- that is, that the amount of the rollover that would be tax-free would be based on the ratio of after-tax and pre-tax money in the 401(k).

Employees who make (or who have made) after-tax contributions to their employer's retirement plan, listen up. You can now take that money and convert it to a Roth IRA tax-free.To qualify for a Roth conversion, your adjusted gross income may not exceed $100,000, whether you are single or married. But don't despair if you make too much now; income limits on conversions disappear in 2010. Income limits on new contributions to Roth IRAs, however, will remain in effect. In 2009, individuals who make up to $120,000 and married couples who make up to $176,000 may contribute up to $5,000 to a Roth IRA, and $6,000 if they are 50 or older.

The new rule on after-tax contributions is much more liberal than the one that governs a conversion from a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA. In that case, the tax-free portion of the rollover is determined by the ratio of nondeductible pay-ins to the total amount in all of your IRAs. So if your $60,000 IRA contains $6,000 in nondeductible contributions and you convert that $6,000 to a Roth IRA, just $600, or one-tenth of the converted amount, would escape income tax. The remaining $5,400 would be taxed at your regular income-tax rate. But under the new rules for after-tax money in 401(k)s -- and 403(b)s and 457 plans -- the full $6,000 would escape taxes. Plus, there is no limit on how much you may convert.

"It's a sweet deal that lets you move money to a Roth IRA with no tax costs," says Ed Slott, a CPA and IRA expert in Rockville Centre, N.Y. "You can't do that from an IRA."

Not all retirement plans allow after-tax contributions. But if yours is among those that do, this is a great way to keep some of your retirement savings growing tax-free without paying the usual price of admission to convert to a Roth IRA. Normally, you must wait to switch jobs or retire before you can move money out of your employer-based retirement account. But some plans permit in-service distributions, allowing you to roll over some or all of your 401(k) money to an IRA once you reach age 59½.

Editor's Picks From Kiplinger


Permission to post your comment is assumed when you submit it. The name you provide will be used to identify your post, and NOT your e-mail address. We reserve the right to excerpt or edit any posted comments for clarity, appropriateness, civility, and relevance to the topic.
View our full privacy policy


Market Update

Featured Videos From Kiplinger