Is Your Identity at Risk?
It's National Protect Your Identity Week, so here's a little fact for you: Nearly 10 million Americans were victims of identity-theft fraud in 2008, according to the National Foundation for Credit Counseling. Although you unfortunately cannot eliminate your risk entirely, you can minimize the odds of having your good name -- and credit -- stolen. Start by TAKING OUR QUIZ to see how much you know about protecting your identity.
Then read the stories below for advice on safeguarding your personal information and what to do in case you become a victim of ID theft.
- What You Need to Know About Identity Theft
- Take Steps to Guard Against Identity Theft
- My Wallet Was Stolen. Now What?
- Guard Against ID Theft While Deployed
- Paying for ID Theft Protection Is Not Necessary